For the past 10 years, Green Balkans has implemented several campaigns targeting the illegal hunting.
- Campaign against changes in the duration of the hunting season for migratory waterfowl and the beginning of the hunting season;
- Campaign to protect key wintering sites of globally threatened waterfowl species;
- National campaign to combat poaching in wetlands.
Our activities are focused on:
- program to control poaching in wetlands – carrying out examinations in wetlands and wintering sites of great conservation significance for waterfowl, implementing joint examinations with the responsible institutions and alarming them in case of detected violations;
- program for conservation of the Red-breasted goose – aimed at preventing the poaching and disturbance of this globally threatened species, as these are among the main threats for the successful wintering of the species in our country. The program is being implemented in the area of the Shabla and Durankulak Lakes in NE Bulgaria;
- regular guarding of the roosting sites of Pygmy cormorants and the nests of Imperial eagles, aimed at preventing illegal hunting and disturbance during the periods of critical importance for the survival of these species.
Our activities are directed towards investigation of perpetrated violations and document frauds, as well as cases of corruption and financial violations in the forest sector.
Almost 300 investigations and examinations on signals of illegal felling and corruption in the forest sector have been carried out until now. Voluntary forest protection system has been established involving people from all over the country, sending signals in case of violations and assisting us in the implementation of investigations. Tens of thousand forests of high conservation value have been saved.
You can read more about our work for protection of forests HERE.
In order to prevent such violations we are working together with the responsible institutions (RIEW) for carrying out joint examinations and confiscating the illegally kept specimens.
Green Balkans is actively working for applying both the Bulgarian and international legislation through the following campaigns: